Friday, June 27, 2008

Erin's Dishes

Here's what I made this first week:

Salad of Mixed Greens-Arugula, Baby Spinach and Red Leaf-and Radishes (with Oil and Vinegar and Pecorino Cheese) This was a pretty straight forward salad in theory, but wow-wee it was so fresh tasting. I'm probably influenced by trying to "get my money's worth" and maybe in a blind taste test I would pick out bagged salad as tasting better. No I wouldn't. I love the convenience of bagged salad but it always tastes a little Chemically? right? And these greens just didn't taste that way, they tasted like green grass and clouds and... you get my point.

Pasta with Chicken, Artichokes, Garlic Scapes and Parsley
I wasn't sure if the Parsley and Garlic Scapes (which if you haven't seen them are crazy looking curly-q's that look a little like scallions) would be the stars of this dish, but they really were. First I sauteed some chicken tenders and then cut them up into bite sized pieces. In the same skillet I sauteed the Garlic Scapes (2 whole), Parsley (about 1/3 cup) and Artichoke Hearts ( 1 can-drained, rinsed and chopped into quarters) in some butter (about 1 tablespoon). In another pot I boiled about 1/3 pound whole wheat fettuccine, before I drained it I saved about a cup of pasta water. I added a little of the water to the skillet until there was a fair amount of "sauce." Then I added the fettuccine and tossed it all together with some freshly grated cheese. This is some SERIOUS starchy comfort food. The fresh parsley really made it, I always for get about parsley, it just seems like a garnish to go on top of a Veal Cutlet covered in red sauce.













Dorothy Food (aka Baby food)with Baby Spinach, Carrots, Zucchini and Parsley In case you're wondering what I feed my baby here is what I made. Spinach, carrots, zucchini, parsley and multi-grain angel hair pasta-I boiled them all together and then chopped up in the little mini food processor. I usually save a large batch by freezing in ice cube trays. I didn't invent this technique, some way smarter mom than me thought of this long ago. Then when it's dinner time I pop about 5 cubes out, defrost and she's set. I have to stress that she enjoys pasta and vegetables very much but I really get her attention if I add some grated cheese. She freaking flips her little lid as soon as she tastes it. Her arms start flapping and her feet bang against the high chair. It's a joy to watch for a food nerd mom like myself. I don't know what I'll do if she turns out to be a picky eater and will only have Cheese Nips and Chicken Nuggets.

Turkey and Pastrami Sandwiches with Green Leaf Lettuce and Horseradish Mustard

Teriyaki Skirt Steak with Stir-Fried Broccoli, Bok Choy, Scallions and Carrots This was great, especially the stir fry. I basically chopped up all the vegetables and sauteed them at the same time so they wouldn't get too over done. I seasoned them with some ground ginger, garlic powder, soy sauce and hot sauce (sriracha). FOR ONCE! I didn't over cook the flank steak. I always do. I have never believed that meat could cook in 3 minutes on each side, but it was true. I cooked it on a very hot grill pan coated with cooking spray. BUT I did screw up something-I marinated the meat in the Teriyaki sauce before I cooked it. That sauce made so much smoke when I cooked it and burned the Sh%%4#t out of my grill pan. So word of caution, add your teriyaki sauce only at the end of cooking if your using a grill pan.









Butterflied Pork Tenderloin with Fried Sage and Quinoa "Stuffing"
This pork was my favorite thing I made all week and I didn't really eat it. I made it for Tim because all week he kept saying "What are we going to use the Sage in?" My husband tends to throw around the word we a lot and in this case it meant "me" what was I going to use the Sage it? So I wanted to make something he's really love so I butterflied a small pork tenderloin (about a pound and a little more). By butterflied I mean I cut in length wise but not all the way through then opened that cut up and continued slicing until the whole thing was flat and opened up and the same thickness. Then I put three sage leaved on each side with salt and pepper. I seared the meat (and consequently the eaves that were stuck on each side) and then covered the pan and cooked it for a few more minutes on a lower heat (I like to use a meat thermometer for pork) then I put it on a cutting board when it was 145 degrees and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The Quinoa Stuffing was another Homage to sage. I sauteed a little scallion, celery and carrot, age and salt and pepper until the veggies were getting soft then I cooked the quinoa in the same pot as the package says. If I could change one thing I would have cooked it in Chicken broth for a stronger taste and added some fresh sage at the end. Overall though, it turned out great and WE really loved it, and by we I mean Tim.

No comments: