Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cucumber Salad with Dill

I may describe the same kind of recipe but with varying ingredients countless times on this blog.
This is because I will be making cucumber salad as long as we are getting cucumbers. Tim likes it, I like it and dammit it's always good no matter what else you put with it. My cousin Patty makes a version by layering tomatoes and cucumber on a plate and topping with fresh dill, oil and vinegar and crumbled blue cheese. My version this week kind of riffs off that. I took the cucumber and peeled about half the skin off with a vegetable peeler (the skin on these organic cucumbers is pretty tough, I'm sure it's wildly good for you but I can't take it). Then I sliced it in half and with a spoon scooped out the seeds. Sometimes I keep them but if the salad is going to sit for a while removing the seeds will keep it from getting too watery. I made half moon like slices about a 1/4 inch thick and put them in a bowl. To that I added about 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. chopped fresh dill, and a sprinkle of salt, pepper and garlic powder. The salad kind of tastes a little like pickles if you let it sit for a day. I took slices from this salad (day 2) and put them on a ham sandwich with yellow mustard. Tasted very "Cuban sandwichy."

No comments: