Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sauteed Arugula, Grape Tomatoes and Basil with Pasta

We really had a lot of arugula this week, which I love. But the week was slipping away from us and I wanted to use it up all in one shot. And I wanted to make some dinner for me and my mother-in-law Sally. She and Ed were visiting and unfortunately Ed had to be admitted to the hospital for a few days. To deal with all the stress and family issues I cooked and did dishes like I was the CEO of "Suzy Homemaker INC." If you scroll through you'll also see I made Meatloaf in an attempt to provide comfort.
This pasta was a bit of a risk to serve to Sally. She likes plain food, American food. So I had a jar of Marinara standing by.
In a large skillet I sauteed 1/2 of a sweet onion in about 1 tbsp. olive oil. When the onion was soft I added the arugula (it was a ton, maybe 4 cups?), it is going to cook down to almost nothing so use a lot. If you don't have arugula this works great with spinach too. I sliced a pint of grape tomatoes in half and added those just to warm up and a finely chopped clove of garlic. Then I added 1/2 cup Pinot Grigio (or any light white wine) and about 1/4-1/2 cup water. If you want you could use chicken broth. I let this bubble away to burn off the alcohol and then I added a sprinkle of salt and pepper (usually I would also add red pepper flakes but not for Sally) and about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan. Add 1/2 pound hot cooked pasta and let the sauce/vegetables/pasta meld together for a few minutes and serve with more Parmesan.

p.s.-I still have the jar of sauce in the cupboard because Sally really liked it.

No comments: