Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fried Rice

Since we've been back from Canada I have been trying to cook a lot of good healthy food to cleanse my body of all the cheese curds, beer, dill pickle chips, poutine, spicy hot dogs and other terrible things I ate and drank.
I made some fried rice when I had a some egg whites left from Dorothy's dinner one night (she just eats the yolks). Here's what I used:
green pepper
1/2 sweet onion
1 c. cauliflower
sliced mushrooms
chard
ginger
1 c. tofu
chicken (1/2 breast, cooked)
2 c. brown rice
egg whites
I sauteed the onion and peppers until soft, then I added the cauliflower, mushrooms and chard and cooked for another few minutes. I seasoned this with 1 tsp. curry powder, 1 tsp. black pepper, red pepper flakes, 1-2 tbsp. soy sauce and 1 tbsp. grated or finely chopped fresh ginger. Then I added the tofu and chicken (both cut in small cubes), combined well and combined it all with the hot rice. I made a two inch hole in the middle of the pan and added the egg whites. I let them cook for a few seconds and then incorporated with the rice mixture. I ate this with some extra hot sauce and soy sauce.

No comments: