Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Puke-umbers

We have gotten a ton of cucumbers this summer and I have had little to no idea as to what to do with them. I have little use for the cucumber. If I was a poet, I would write a poem entitled “I have little use for the cucumber.” It would get published in “The New Yorker” and I would smile demurely when people brought it up, and then return to my day job teaching English at a small New England prep school. If my vegetables held an awards ceremony, cucumbers would sweep the “Most likely to rot in the vegetable bin” category. That being said, here is a recipe I used with cucumbers from the Farmer’s cookbook. We mixed ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp honey, and ¼ tsp Dijon mustard. I then sliced up one of the ginormous cucumbers we had gotten that week and an onion (the onion was supposed to be cut into six thin slices) and added them to the bowl. You can either marinate the veggies for a half hour at room temperature or refrigerate overnight. Either way, I didn’t fall in love with it. But then, I do not have much use for the cucumber.

No comments: