Saturday, July 5, 2008

Beans and Greens Pasta with Sweet Italian Sausage

Tim really loved this. It's something I make a lot but for this version I used every last little green I could find from our box-beet greens, radish greens, and some beautiful little greens they sent for salad (baby spinach mostly). First I removed the sausage from the casings (just squeeze it out) and browned it. I used mild Italian pork sausage this time but I usually like to use turkey. I drained one an great northern white beans and added them to the pan. I also added two cloves chopped garlic. Then I sprinkled it all generously with dried basil, pepper, and red pepper flakes. I add the salt later if it needs it, **you'll see why. I added the baby greens and let them wilt a little. Then about a 1/2 cup each of broth (or water) and white wine. Let the wine come to a boil so the alcohol burns off. Lastly I added about 1/4 cup diced Pecorino and Parmesan cheeses (I had two heals that were almost done so i just cup the up, too small to shred). I let this all simmer for a few minutes then serve with pasta of your choice and more shredded cheese too! **The broth and cheese usually add plenty of salt but you may need to add a little more at the end.

No comments: