Friday, July 4, 2008

Tortellinni with Summer Squash Sauce


The colors were vibrant and so was the garlic flavor. Maybe a little too vibrant. I haven't used Garlic Scapes all that much so I thought I'd try something new and put them in a sauce fresh (as in hard, not cooked). It was definitely a strong taste. Not bad really but next time I'd saute them a bit first. Anyway here's what I did:
1 summer squash (cut into half moons)
1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with olive oil and garlic
1 diced garlic scape
Cheese Tortellini
I sauteed the squash in a little olive oil until it was tender and browning on both sides. Then I added the peppers and tomatoes. I added the scapes just at the end but don't do this, cook them with the summer squash it will be better. Then I just boiled the tortellini and served it all with grated cheese.
This recipe is indicative of my disregard for common sense in the kitchen. I sometimes get defensive about cooking and think I can make anything work. This attitude usually comes about when I haven't been cooking in a while and I feel guilty I guess. This vegetable share for sure makes me feel guilty if I haven't used a vegetable of if "GASP" I have to throw it out. I am a super cheapskate and I hate wasting anything. Back to my disregard for common sense. I was starving when I made this recipe up and rushed through it, also it was like 100 degrees in my kitchen and I made HOT TORTELLINI? I often fall under the title of "good cook, bad planner," this was one example (this is also why I didn't cook the scapes first, I forgot about them and threw them in at the last second thinking I was brilliant and that the sauce would just get more garlicky and better, whoops, it did not, it got WAY garlicky and not better). Over all this sauce tasted good and I would recommend making it in the winter. I am done beating myself up for now.

No comments: