Friday, July 4, 2008

Kohlrabi-Choy Stir Fry and Teriyaki Chicken Thighs

Our family is big into boneless skinless chicken thighs. They have tons of flavor and are a nice portion size. Tonight we browned them on both sides in a hot pan with a little cooking spray. Before I put them in I also sprinkled both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground ginger. When both sides are browned nicely (about 4-5 minutes each side) I turned the heat down, poured some Teriyaki Sauce over them and put a lid on the pan. I let the chicken cook in the sauce for about another 8-10 minutes on low. For the stir fry I used two Kohlrabi and a 1/2 bunch of Choi and some scallions. I usually peel the outside of the Kohlrabi with a vegetable peeler but lots of recipes say it's unnecessary. I don't know, it can be a little tough, I say peel it but don't waste a ton of the bulb. I cut up the Choi into half in or so pieces (greens and stalks) and the scallions about the same size. As the vegetables were cooking I added soy sauce (about 1 tbsp maybe more), garlic powder, sweet chili sauce and Sriacha (hot sauce). Hey do you all see a trend here? Yep, I use a lot of the same spices for a lot of recipes. You don't need to re-invent the wheel every time you make a new dish. Choose flavors you like (for me garlic, hot sauce, ginger, curry, etc) and apply them to new foods you're trying.



No comments: